Last summer - August 2018, we rolled out Instagram Stories analytics where you briefly could see the most performing Stories and get insights into basic metrics such as taps forward, taps backward, and exits.
Before I talk about new features, let me stress that this is not a small update.
We rebuilt Instagram Stories analytics from the ground up! With this product update, you'll get a complete analysis of stories performance and get answers around these questions: top performing content in Stories, completion rate, time to post, reach, engagement metrics and more.
No time? Here's a quick overview of the new features in Stories Analytics:
- what type of Stories perform better on Instagram - photos or videos
- the best time to post Stories based on reach and impressions
- top hashtags ranked by impressions used in Stories as text, and not stickers (API doesn't reveal data for stickers)
- how many Stories per day you should post for better engagement
Let’s take a look at these new features in more detail and discuss some actionable use cases.
Here's a sneak peak of the article:
👉 How to analyze Instagram Stories performance with Socialinsider
👉 Discover what Stories generates more engagement
👉 Explore what type of Stories you should focus on
👉 Get the most performing Stories
👉 See what are the most performing hashtags used in Stories by impressions
👉 Find out the best days and hours to publish Stories based on impressions
👉 See what metrics you get using the native app versus an analytics tool
Instagram provides Stories analytics only for own profiles (business profiles) and you can't retrieve data from competitors or influencers accounts. To access analytics, you need to authorize your Instagram business account with Socialinsider, then follow the steps described below.
- Authorize your own account (business accounts)
- Allow Socialinsider to access profile and posts from the Instagram business connected to your page and access your Page and App insights.
- Add the Instagram profile you’d like to analyze data
After selecting the Instagram profiles you’d like to monitor, add them to a new or existing project, then press ‘Add selected profiles’.
Select ‘Stories’ from the menu bar and dive into in-depth data.
Please note that you can access insights from the day you authorize your account with Socialinsider and access them as long you want.
Since Instagram doesn't give us access to historical stories data, this tab might be empty when you first connect. Once you authorize your account, your stories data will begin to accumulate going forward and you can access data for more than 14 days as you can see in the native app.
Instagram Stories analytics feature is available now on all of Socialinsider's paid plans, starting at $59/ month. Upgrade now to get access!
👉 Benefits of using Socialinsider Instagram Stories Analytics
Wouldn't be perfect to know precisely what Instagram Story has brought you the most engagement or how many unique accounts you reach each day?
Knowing and understanding the data helps you create the perfect Instagram Stories strategy.
That’s why we decided to retrieve these metrics in the dashboard:
- Total stories: How many stories the profile published in a specific period.
- Days with stories: Number of days in which the profile published stories.
- Stories per day: Average published stories per day.
- Average peak reach: How many unique accounts you reach each day in average.
- Average retention rate: It shows how engaged is your audience with stories. It represents the impressions of the last story divided by the impressions of the first story.
- Peak reach rate: Highest reach you had in a day as percentage of followers count.
- Publishing behavior: See how many stories were published in a period.
- Replies: Understand how many people reply to your Stories.
- Impressions: It shows you the distribution of impressions for a specific period.
- Reach: It gives the number of accounts that saw a photo or video in your story.
- Completion rate for multiple Stories in one day.
Diving into these metrics helps shape the strategy for Stories, and you become better at content planning.
Instagram Stories feature allows you to post either images or videos, but which types of stories perform better for your business?
Explore what type of Stories keeps your audience engaged and get metrics such as: impressions, reach, completion rate, days with highest reach, replies, how many Stories per day you should publish for a better retention rate.
Now the best part: it shows you what type of Stories perform better on Instagram: videos or photos. According to a report from eMarketer, engagement with Instagram videos is growing at a faster rate than photos. With this update, you can analyze your Stories on an ongoing basis and optimize your content strategy.
Instagram API doesn’t allow to get data for Stories from archive or reshares of posts in Stories. Make sure you create new posting to have a consistent analysis.
Before you find the 'magic format' of your Instagram Stories, you've probably tried all of the features that Instagram Stories offers: question sticker, mention feature, all kind of hashtags, GIFs, etc.
It takes a lot of time, imagination and effort, but once you trigger data through Socialinsider, you’ll be able to see your most performing stories sorted by: date, impressions, reach, exists, replies, taps forward or taps back.
Hashtags are extremely powerful in attracting more followers in your niche and increase engagement, plus they can help you reach your target audience.
Please note that through the API we can’t get data about Stories stickers - including hashtag sticker. However, most businesses use hashtags in text because you can place more than one hashtag allowed in stickers.
Get the list of hashtags used in Stories for a specific period and understand which one was the most performing based on impressions.
Best time to post on Instagram or any other social media channel is a controversial subject. However, my statement is that there's no size fits all, and you need to determine the posting frequency in addition to the content you post each time.
When it comes to Stories, we display the best time to publish ranked by average story reach.
Let's say you publish Stories five days in a row, looking into the Socialinsider data you'll understand which days are more suitable with your audience behavior on Instagram.
This is one metric to look at when analyzing the best time to post, for a comprehensive analysis, complete your data with:
- Identify your top time zones and see when your followers are online - these insights are available through the native analytics app.
- Experiment with different posting times and measure your progress
- Measure when your competitors are posting.
- Keep track of your industry behavior.
When it comes to the native app, Instagram provides raw data such as taps back, tabs forward, exits, etc.
Don't limit your Instagram marketing performance using the native app, use complementary analytics tools for a complete social media analysis.
Instagram Stories metrics are divided into three sections, and here is what each section contains:
- Interactions: replies and profile visits.
- Discovery: reach and impressions.
- Navigation: taps back, taps forward, next story, exited.
Social media managers should have adaptable and affordable tools to analyze their story campaigns and study their competitors too.
I know that this article only scratches the surface of what’s possible in the new Instagram Stories Analytics.
If there are other use cases of this new feature that I haven't discovered yet, share your ideas with me in the comments.
P.S. Can we send you an email?
Once a week or so we send an email with our best content. No sales pitches, no bullshit, and one-click unsubscribe: