Last year, in April 2018, Instagram changed its API - I know, it may sound like a geek term, API comes from "application program interface," and it's a way for analytics apps to talk to and interact with Instagram.
Instagram's changes to their API were a surprise for many third-party apps, and some features were removed - including hashtags analytics.
The good news is that Instagram opened up their API last year, and we rebuilt the hashtags analytics feature.
With this product update, you can measure the performance of any Instagram hashtags - yours or the ones used by your competitors, and understand the impact of the hashtag campaigns based on impressions or reach - if it's your account.
Here's a quick overview of the new features in hashtags analytics:
- get insights for any specific hashtag, and not aggregated data as you see from the native app
- understand what hashtags you should use for better engagement
- discover how many hashtags you can add based on industry research
- track your competitors' hashtags
- measure your campaign's awareness on Instagram by measuring the volume of hashtag mentions.
Let’s have a closer look at them.
How to measure your hashtags performance with Socialinsider
- How to start tracking hashtags with Socialinsider
- What hashtags metrics you get
- Focus on the hashtags that matter
- Measure the volume of hashtag mentions
- What hashtag metrics you get using the native app
Most of the time, businesses create branded hashtags to develop interest, and to consolidate posts relating to a particular product or campaign together.
If you want to access hashtags analytics with Socialinsider, you have to follow these steps first:
- Click to 'Add Social Profile', and then click on the 'Instagram hashtags':
2. Enter the hashtag you'd like to analyze (e.g. #jcrewalways), add it to a project (if you don't have one, create it), select the historical hashtag data you'd like to get, then click on ' Add hashtag' button.
You will find all the hashtags you added in the left side bar of the dashboard.
If you’re a brand, hashtags can help you to build brand awareness, connect with your target audience, and participate in conversations related to your products.
Here's a list of hashtags metrics you get using Socialinsider:
👉 Volume of hashtag mentions
- Total posts - this metric gives you the volume of hashtag mentions on Instagram.
- A list of the hashtag mentions - it can be exported as .csv and filtered by type of content.
Why it's important ⇣
Tracking this metric gives you an idea of how popular your hashtags are. You see if they go viral or not at all.
👉 Engagement metrics
- Engagement - this metric indicates the volume of interactions around your hashtags. Engagement on Instagram is measured as the sum of likes and comments.
- Engagement metrics - it indicates the distribution of likes and comments of the hashtags' postings.
- Average engagement per post - it's computed as the total engagement of the posts divided by the number of posts.
Please note that the reach metric is available only for own accounts, and you can see this metric in the Instagram analytics section for your own profile.
Why it's important ⇣
Tracking hashtags engagement shows you how engaging your hashtags are, and how your audience resonates with your campaign.
- A list of top hashtags ranked by count - this metric shows you what other hashtags are used with your hashtag on Instagram.
- A list of top hashtags ranked by engagement - this metric exposes the performance of your hashtags are compared with other mentioned hashtags.
Why it's important ⇣
Analyzing the hashtags count reveals how popular your hashtags are, and which ones are the most performing.
👉 Content analysis
- Posts evolution - this metric indicates the postings evolution with your hashtag on Instagram.
- Average posts per day - this metric shows you how many hashtag mentions you get on average per day.
- Top 3 posts - the most engaging posts with your hashtags based on engagement
- Posts by type - this metric gives you insights into the type of content formats used with your hashtags on Instagram.
- Post types ranked by engagement - this metrics explains what type of content performs better with your hashtag - photo, video or carousel.
Why it's important ⇣
Measuring the content performance on Instagram helps you improve your content strategy.
Instagram hashtags are still an effective way to get more eyes (and engagement) on your posts, but the huge question is "What hashtags should you focus on?"
That's why it's important to analyze your hashtags with an analytics tool. You can use up to 30 hashtags per posts, but it can be harmful to your brand.
Using Socialinsider, you'll understand what hashtags are the most performing for your account in terms of engagement.
Let's take #coachella2019 for example - the giant annual music festival in California created this year a hashtag that all those present at the event and not only could use it in their posts.
It seems that the most popular hashtag for this festival was #coachella2019 - measured by count, but when it comes to engagement, the most performing hashtags were: #coachellaoutfit, #palmspring (location hashtag) or #coachellastyle.
Once you start a hashtag campaign on Instagram, understand how viral your campaign is and how people interact with your messaging.
If you get a higher number of mentions, it means that you have a popular hashtag.
You can see your hashtags postings with Socialinsider. You'll get a list of the posts that contain that particular hashtag which can be exported as .csv.
Bear in mind that social media analytics tools give you only the recent data for a time range. You won't be able to get 100% accurate data about the past.
If you decide to limit the performance of your hashtags with the native app, here are some things you need to know:
- the native app gives you aggregated data for your hashtags, and you won't be able to measure the performance for specific hashtags.
- Instagram insights native app shows you the hashtags metrics only for your account, and not for the hashtags used by competitors.
Hashtags are extremely powerful in attracting more followers in your niche and increase engagement.
Hope that this product update helps you better define your hashtags strategies on Instagram.
If you have questions about hashtags analytics or how to get started using this feature, let me know in the comments.
We host a new webinar on how to analyze the hashtags' performance with Socialinsider. Save your seat!